One of the first initiatives developed by the Muskoka Watershed Council in 2002 was the Clean & Green 13, a program designed to inspire people to take a look at their every day lives and realize what kind of impact their actions have on the watersheds that we all share.
The Clean & Green 13 is a list of some positive steps that you can take right now to improve the health of Muskoka watersheds.
Public Service Announcements
Clean & Green 13 PSA #1 – CHAY 93.1 (2005)
Clean & Green 13 PSA #2 – CHAY 93.1 (2005)
I want my watershed to be Clean & Green, therefore I will:
Protect Air Quality
- Reduce my gasoline consumption.
- Buy fuel-efficient engines (in vehicles, lawn mowers, snowmobiles, etc).
In My House/Cottage
- Inspect my septic tank every 2 to 3 years and have it pumped regularly.
- Use phosphate-free soaps and alternative cleaners such as baking soda and vinegar.
- Take paint, batteries, aerosol cans and petroleum products to hazardous waste depots for disposal.
- Recycle and compost in order to reduce my household garbage to 1 bag per week.
On My Property
- Reduce my use of chemical fertilizers and eliminate my use of pesticides.
- Preserve the natural vegetation and trees on my property.
- Handle fuel, oil and other chemicals with great care and have an action plan to deal with any spills that occur.
On the Shoreline
- Ensure that my docks, boathouse and other structures do not occupy more than 25% of my shoreline.
- Leave the remaining 75% or more of my shoreline in its natural state.